Llanelli Half Marathon Postponed

By 4th February 2020Latest News

The organisers behind the Risk Kitchen Llanelli Half Marathon have today confirmed that due to the extremely challenging weather predicted for this weekend, they have made the decision to postpone the event until 8th March 2020.

David Martin-Jewell, Managing Director of Front Runner Events said:

“It is with regret we have to inform all our runners, supporters and public that we must postpone the 2020 Risk Kitchen Llanelli Half Marathon which was planned to take place this Sunday (9th Feb 2020).  Our decision has not been taken lightly and whilst it may appear that we have made the call early, the yellow weather warning issued for Carmarthenshire over this coming weekend has reinforced our decision (https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2644100).  With up to gale force 9 winds expected, we need to prioritise the safety of all our runners, volunteers, contractors, crew and spectators.”

“The decision to announce the postponement early has been made to allow anyone travelling to amend and update bookings for the new date. We know how difficult it is to plan to travel to these events, so this will hopefully help those rearrange and update their logistics. As runners ourselves, the last thing we want to do is cancel or postpone an event. Training plans and routines can be affected, but as I have said, this is a decision that has not been taken lightly and one I hope people understand is for the best interests of everyone involved. We are fortunate that we are able book a back-up date with the Scarlets for situations such as this, it’s just extremely unfortunate that we have had to implement it for this year. The influence of the weather simply remains beyond our control.”

This is the first time the event organisers and the Llanelli Half Marathon in its race history has been postponed.  The severe weather warnings mean that all equipment, baggage, barriers, toilet facilities, water stations, signage, gantry and outdoor kit becomes a risk which may not withstand the winds predicted or the associated gusts. Moreover, the safety of the race participants, staff, volunteers, and others would be put at risk.

All participants who have entered the race will automatically be transferred to the new event date on Sunday 8th March.  Anyone unable to commit to the new date will be able to transfer or defer their existing place and details surrounding this will be updated shortly.  All current transfer and deferrals remain in force.  For further information and requests can be sent by email to: info@frontrunnerevents.co.uk